Saturday, 28 March 2009

Lemon Butter recipe

So, I've been asked to share my Lemon Butter recipe. I thought: "No problems - I've got a jar left from my last batch in the fridge...I'll photograph that and pop the recipe up on the blog". So, I reached for that jar to photograph the contents - maybe I could spread it on the fresh batch of banana pecan bread I'd just finished making (for those in the house that are not gluten/sugar intolerant!) Or perhaps on a slice of bread? I was racking my brains to "stage" the lemon butter appropriately. It became apparent that the options were reduced quite a bit when I opened the jar...I managed to scrape *one* teaspoonful together! This gives you an idea of how completely yummy this lemon butter is. It definitely will not last long at all!


Lemon Butter recipe (adapted from "Preserving" by Oded Schwartz - the single best jams and preserves recipe book I could ever recommend!)

zested rind and juice of 6 lemons
2 cups caster sugar
150g butter
6 eggs, beaten (let them get to room temperature before using)

Gently heat the lemon rind, juice and sugar in a small pan, until the sugar has dissolved. Add the butter and stir until melted.

Transfer the mixture to a double boiler, or a stainless steel bowl over a pot of just simmering boiling water.

Carefully seive the eggs into the mixture, and cook very slowly, stirring frequently to ensure smoothness. You will need to keep a close eye on the mixture at this time, as it can curdle if overcooked. It will take about 20-25 minutes to cook - it's ready when the mixture coats the back of a spoon.

This will make about 4-5 smallish jars, and will keep for up to 3 months in the fridge. But it won't last that long, I can almost guarantee it!

8 comments:

vanilla pixie (Carley) said...

Yum, yum, yum!! Thanks for sharing - can't wait to try it

innerearthsoaps said...

Oh my goodness, yum! I love anything lemony, I'll have to try this out :-)

Chrisy said...

I've got a similar recipe to this that my mum makes...always delicious and pretty fail safe...very yummy in shortcrust pastry tart cases...with earl grey tea and fancy china...

Martha said...

Oooooo ... yumm. Never heard of it before but I can see from the recipe that it will be good. Buying lemons tomorrow....

incalesco said...

Excellent, I have a huge lemon tree in the backyard, this sounds delicious. I can't wait to try it out!

ArtNomadix said...

Yummmmmmmmmmm! That's got my mouth salivating at the thought !! Funny thing I was looking at some Lemon Butter in the shop yesterday, thinking I wanted some, but it was a commercial brand, so wasn't buying it , but I 'wanted' Lemon Butter right then ! Now I'll have to make some soon !! THanks Natalia ....Megg

melanie said...

yum! that sounds delicious!

suziwong said...

YUM lemon butter...have u tried Stephanie Alexander's quick method; is very quick and tastes awesome. I like to slice and toast my banana bread and then spread my lemon butter on. Is amazing. Thanx for sharing ur recipe; i'm aways collecting!