Friday, 20 February 2009

Year of Jewelry - Week 7 - The Corpse Bride

Week 7's theme for the Year of Jewelry weekly challenge was "The Corpse Bride". Being a massive fan of Tim Burton, this is a film I've seen - and enjoyed - many times, but watched it once more - for "homework". ;)

The Corpse bride herself - Emily - did not wear earrings, but these wonderful rose components - vintage brass mesh - both inspired me, and reminded me of her sadly neglected tiara. I shaped and hammered sterling wire to create the base of the chandelier style earrings, and then added a Tim Burton colour palette of olive, jet black and earthy gold. These hues were created with black spinel and scapolite - both AAA gem grade - and slightly more rustic green tourmaline rondelles. Tendrils of fine chain dangle from this gothic cluster, and the whole design was oxidised heavily and left a gorgeous gunmetal hue.


Emily's Earrings sold in a flash (thank you Pamela!) but I did make another design in a similar vein: Emily's Bouquet

I have really enjoyed making this style, so I think you will be seeing more of these! Hope you are having a great day wherever you are. :)

8 comments:

lyptis said...

Theyre really nice! Love the golden ones! very lush!

vanilla pixie (Carley) said...

Oooh - seeing them next to each they are like a pair for winter & a pair for summer. Just divine!!

michvanetta said...

I totally adore the pair that sold in a flash, there's just something about black and greens together - that and I'm more of a silver girl :)
I look forward to seeing more xx

Chrisy said...

Emily's earrings are so exquisitely gothic...think that some more 'darker' jewellery would go well...

JoJoBell said...

I love the idea of one for winter and one for summer! These are beautiful!

Claire Pearse said...

Hi Natalia - I've awarded you the coveted Marie Antoinette Award.... check out my blog :)

Erin said...

Those earrings are hype! I love combination of soft and metal. Funky.

belinda.moonmum said...

Love the Corpse Bride earrings, perfect with the mesh roses!