Friday, 6 February 2009

Year of Jewelry - Week 4 - Memoirs of a Geisha

I've managed to upload my contributions to the YOJ backwards - I'm blaming the heat! (It obviously was not *my* fault!)

Week 4's theme for the YOJ was "Memoirs of a Geisha". Having read - and thoroughly enjoyed - the fantastic book in the past (a few times) I decided I would seek the movie out as well. I was slightly disappointed with the movie, but the costumes - oh! they were amazing!

My choice of a cherry blossom draws parallels with the geisha - incredibly beautiful and prized, yet restrained within an opulent environment.

I created a freeform goldfill frame for the sakura, and then made a seven-petalled blossom with garnet hued keishi pearls, to sit within the frame. To this was added a centrepiece of rubies, which overflows in a luscious fashion. The interior was wired with thin sterling wire which contrasts beautifully with the golden hues. A tassel - created with all goldfill components - dangles from the base of the blossom. The detailed pendant hangs from 2 strands of coordinating goldfill chain, which is finished with a handforged clasp component - securely linked used two sparkling jet black spinel rondelles.



More images can be seen here in my Etsy store.

4 comments:

Chrisy said...

yes natalia i felt the same about the movie after reading the book...it's often the way it happens...reading let's you create the movie in ur head...and it lasts longer than 2hrs...and then the movie is so shallow in comparison...but did agree with you re the costumes...gorgeous...and this necklace...my fav i think of any of ur pieces...

Vickie said...

Wow, gorgeous necklace

Gemheaven said...

Ohhh Natalia that is just beautiful ♥

BizzieLizzie said...

Oh, Natalia - I feel the same way - the book was just one of those I couldn't put down. Your necklace is stunning and very befitting of a Geisha!