Saturday, 7 February 2009

The hot weather continues

One of the casualties of the hot weather we've been experiencing here in South Australia, has, unfortunately, been death. Elderly people, who have been unwilling or unable to use air conditioners or fans have suffered terribly, and our wildlife and pets have found the heat unbearable too.

I've been out at least once everyday in the heat "watering" my chickens. They are quite indignant about it, but so far (fingers crossed) I haven't lost any. My neighbours - Joyce and John - rang us a couple of days ago, and invited us to have a look at a koala in their tree. I thought: "Koala - we had one over here, I wonder if he is the same one!" However, one look at this baby proved it was indeed a new character.

The little fellow had probably either been left behind by his mother, or his mother had died, and Joyce and John took pity on him and put a dish of water in the crook of the tree for him to drink. He promptly sat in it! (You can see the dish under his furry bottom!)


Then, to Joyce and John's delight, he actually lapped up water from a container, and let them pat him. The poor little dear! That's when they called us, and both my boys were fortunate enough to have this wonderful experience too.


In this last picture, I think he looks particularly satisfied. Note the wet goatee!

15 comments:

vanilla pixie (Carley) said...

Too cute!! And what an amazing experience for your boys

lyptis said...

So cute, how he or she sits in that dish is just adorable!

Scarlette Rose Fairy said...

Tooooo cute!! how lucky to get one so close! Hope all the animals out there survive the heat!! X.x.

Jenni said...

Awww how adorable.... Poor things..

Jenni

UniqueDichroic said...

Oh my goodness...That is SO cute !
I wish we had Koalas here in WA :)

melanie said...

wow, that's fantastic! Koala's usually don't drink! They usually get all of their moisture from their gum leaves!
He does look very cute with his wet goatee - like my puppy Dora does when she's been drinking from the pond!

Owl and Fox said...

Wow, that's incredible! I second that koalas not drinking thing, he must really be hot. That last pic is gorgeous :)

Rainbow Chai Tent said...

Wow ! great pics, love the last one, s/he looks much more content and refreshed. Our wallaby family have made a reappearnce, after a bit of an absence up around the house. Yesterday we had 4 together, Big Daddy with two females, possibly both his daughters, but it's hard to tell those ones apart, one of them has two joeys, one out of the pouch and a smaller one inside. And Big Daddy is interested in her again, so much so he chased the other, away . Little Joey is cute and not as speedy as 'Speedy' the last joey that was this size sometime last year.

Chrisy said...

...good to see somebody's looking after the little guy...so hot and so dry down there...
..the mental picture of u standing with a watering can over ur chickens is amusing...

My name is Julia :-) said...

Maybe he'll feel so welcomed he'll take up residence. Lovely pics :-)

tori said...

Curses - now I want a Koala!!!

Sam said...

Oh! Such a sweetie! There was a photo in our local paper here of a koala who was following a woman with a watering can around her garden and another who hopped into someone's back yard pool! I think these koalas are really feeling the heat! Hope these ghastly weather calms down a bit!

Gypsy Rose Creations said...

Hi,
ive tagged you on my blog. See it here:
www.gypsyrosecreatins.blogspot.com

msbelle said...

Hi Natalia! What a lovely story. It's good to know that you are giving care where it's needed. He certainly is a cute little critter and I hope he's ok. I also hope you're ok and not near the fires. My heart goes out to your country for all the devastation you have gone through. All the lives lost as well as all the wildlife that has been lost. So sad and tragic. I hope they find the culprits and punish them severely for their actions.

deb said...

how beautiful. Poor little baby. Bet that bowl of water felt nice and cool on his bum! LOL
I've been putting wet towels over my dog and pointing the fan at him - he's 17 and can barely walk, finds the heat very difficult.